The carillon of the Nicolaïkerk
The carillon in the south tower of the Nicolaïkerk was cast in 1649 by the Hemony brothers. It had a compass of two octaves. In 1933 it was extended by one octave. Although these twelve bells by the English bellfounder Taylor were of good quality, they were not well matched to the Hemony bells. Petit and Fritsen of Aarle-Rixtel were therefore commissioned to cast twelve new bells in 1957. In 1985 the carillon was restored by Eijsbouts of Asten, upon which occasion five extra bells were cast. In 1988 two more bells were donated by the Utrechtse Klokkenspel Vereniging to commemorate its 60th anniversary. By now the compass of the carillon had increased to 3 octaves: g1 (actual pitch: e1) - c2 - d2 - e2 - f2 f sharp2 ... g5. Carillon recitals: On Sundays throughout the year there is a carillon recital from 14.00-15.00 hours from the Nicolaïkerk tower. The recitals are given by Malgosia Fiebig, city carillonneur of Utrecht.