St. Nicolas Church
The St Nicolaaskerk dates from the early 12th century. The name of the church reflects its position at a waterway junction, since St Nicholas was the patron saint of sailors. With its two towers and galleries above the side aisles the church must have made a grand impression. In the course of years it was rebuilt and enlarged several times. In the early 13th century the galleries above the side aisles were demolished, though traces in the pillars still bear witness to them. The most important enlargement occured in the 15th century when the Romanesque cruciform basilica was transformed into a Gothic hall church by Jacob van der Borch, master builder of the Dom. After the second iconoclasm in 1579 the church passed into Protestant hands. This transition had considerable consequences for the interior; the choir, for instance, fell into disuse. In the 20th century the edifice was restored in two phases. The west end was restored in 1942-1953, and the nave and choir followed in 1970-1978. The church is now officially called the Nicolaïkerk but popularly known as the Klaaskerk.
St. Nicolas Church in the 18th century